Go to MOBILE|HOME|THE SHOW|STORIES|CASE EXPO|2015 PARADE|2015 VIDEO|SCHEDULE|BOOK|ABOUT US|SPONSORS
James Valley Threshers Association

THE SHOW

Case Expo

150 HP Case

2015 Show
Drone Video


2015 Parade
Video


Tractor Show

Steam Plowing

Gas Plowing

Threshing

Tractor Pull

Spark Show

Past Parades

Quilt Show

Fiber Arts
Show


Ladies of
Steam


Kids Tractor
Pull


Free Tractor

4H Club
Ham Dinner


Threshermen's
Breakfast


Watermelon
Feast


Flea Market

Tour of Park

Sawmill

Blacksmith

Machines

You are here
Gas Station


Cook Car

Church

Toy Chest

School House

Playground

Tin Dipper

Feed Bin &
Concessions


Souvenir Shop

STORIES

Steam Car

Big Boy Toys

Steam is King

Sea of Red

Ford Tractors

Going Green

Garrett's Story

Jordan's Story


Huppmobile

Heritage Crafts

Toy Irons

Purses

Music

Andover,
Host Town


INFORMATION

Schedule

Poster

Our Book

Maps

Motels
& Camping


About Us

Contact Us

Sponsors


HISTORY of the STRATFORD SINCLAIR STATION
at James Valley Thresher's Park


Old Sinclair Gas Station and Pumps

One of the more unusual features of the James Valley Thresher's Park is the old gas station on the parade route. It was moved to Thresher's Park in 1990, but has a long history, almost a century, dating back to 1915. Lloyd Jark gives a history of its use through the years:

This was a Sinclair gas station located in Stratford SD, and had several owners over the years.

History of business managers of the Sinclair gas station:
Stanley Neil
Ervin Woods
Allan Baggett
Jim Birner
Harold Woods
Francis Horse
Bill Jones
Allan Hoeft
Don Bruns
1915-1939
1940-1942
1943-1946
1947-1949
1950-1954
1955-1956
1957-1965
1966-1975
1976-1979

High Grade Oil Company, which owned the property, then sold it to Dayle Ludeke and he used it for his office from which he ran the "Husky Spraying Service."

Brown County became the owner of the station in 1980. They sold it at an auction to Lloyd Jark.

Lloyd was then approached by Kevin Anderson to bring the station to the James Valley Threshing Show. The Gas Station was moved into the James Valley Thresherman's Park and permanently installed there in June of 1990.

The gas station retains all of its original character with two old visible gas pumps in front, one of which was donated by Art and Erna Raap in 1998. The front posts are decorated with old porcelain-on-metal signs advertising Remington Tires.
(Exerpt from story.)

A popular place for musicians to gather for an informal jam session:

This spectacular night time photo of the gas station
is courtesy of photographer Kent Staubus


Vintage black and white photo of the gas station, 1940 - 1942
when Ervin Woods ran the station



Station on the parade route by the Case sign

Continue to the 1924 Threshers Cook Car

See you at the Show!

James Valley Threshers Show, Andover South Dakota

HOME|THE SHOW|STORIES|CASE EXPO|2015 PARADE|2015 VIDEO|SCHEDULE|BOOK|ABOUT US|SPONSORS|CONTACT US
Copyright James Valley Threshers Association, 2003-2016. All Rights Reserved.