|The year was 1916, when the young school
teacher, not much older than some of her
students, rang the bell for the first time
in the newly built Laurel No. 9 one room
schoolhouse, several miles north of Groton.
Children, from first to eighth graders, filed
into their new school, and neatly lined up
their lunch pails on a shelf above coat pegs.
A coal stove, the single source of heat,
was in the center of the room.
Ray Pulfrey was one of the first
on that first day of school in
it was there he "served
his eight years"
as he jokingly put it.
The bell rang for the last time
at the school
house in 1935.
Pulfrey never outgrew his love
for the little
school house. He purchased the
1969, restored it, and furnished
antique desks, slate chalkboards
other things to recreate a school
days long past. In October 1999
the building and its contents
to the James
Valley Threshing Association,
and it was
moved to Threshermen's Park in
With the addition of more schoolhouse
from local people, and lots of
the school is now one of the
features of the annual Threshing
(Exerpt from story in our 40th