|The idea of a TOY SHOW was proposed in 1989
by members Selmer and Colleen Anderson, Burdell
and Muriel Bohn, and Harold and Lorraine
Yoder. They wanted a place that they could
exhibit some of their collections and those
of anyone else that had old or unusual toys,
dolls, or things of interest to display.
In 1990, Burdell decided to donate his old
grade school building, which he had previously
acquired. The building was built about 1889.
It was the school Burdell attended in the
1930's. His father had also attended the
school in the 1890's, so it was of particular
significance to Burdell. He was surprised
and pleased to find some of the original
attendance records and student reports in
the school when he obtained the building.
Among the papers were his father's records.
These papers are now on display in the Toy
Chest at Thresher's Park. Some of the original
desks from Burdell's school are now in use
to furnish the School House in the James
Valley Thresher's Park.
Burdell and Muriel Bohn
The building was remodelled in 1993 to serve
as the Threshermen's Park Toy Chest, and
to display extensive toy collections, mostly
farm equipment, steam toys and dolls.
Many people display their toys and dolls,
and that makes the Toy Chest show one that
everyone enjoys, young and old alike. New
and unusual items are always welcome.
Burdell and Muriel Bohn and helpers will
welcome you to the Toy Show and answer any
questions about the building and the toys
and dolls on display. They keep the TOY CHEST
a delightful place to see.